View Single Post
Old 06 September 2011, 02:22 PM
Micheru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers for the replies guys, I can rest easy knowing I won't do any serious damage in the short term. As I said it wasn't so much about power at first that I changed, more about the standard sti exhaust system falling to bits and needing a replacement.

Originally Posted by wrxsti280
As dj says, you will be fine without a map to start with, but if you can stretch to a map then that will get the best out of it, you could go for an esl, apexi or similar, for not much more than around 400 quid.

I would imagine your car will be the same as mine with regards to sensors etc, you should have a cat on fire sensor in your current downpipe, which you just disconnect and blank off with a blanking plug in your decat downpipe, your lambda sensor should be in the headers.
Yeah it's fitted now and I have to admit took a little while to get used to the loudness of a Kakimoto decat but I'm loving it. It had the cat on fire in my original downpipe. The new decat downpipe is heatwrapped so hopefully that'll be okay.

Originally Posted by housty-wrx
alot of people will say u NEED a map....thats what they told me but im running a full stainless decat with no probs without a map
I'm not feeling an increase in performance really, so I guess I'll get a simtek ecu for the dual maps in the next few months.

Mapping for v-power gives better performance/economy? Something I've noticed is that it smells like I'm running rich and there's a fair amount of popping on the overrun, is that normal for decat or just due to the map not being setup for decat?