Old 04 January 2012, 08:59 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ^OPM^
Quick question that i need help on-have looked on direct.gov website and cant fully find answer i need.

How long by law are you allowed for tea breaks on an 8 hour shift that runs from 6 am to 2 pm.

I know according to law it says you should have a 20 min break if working more then 6 hours but does that include washing up time as well?

If i start work at 6am is the company i work for breaking laws by expecting me to have one break at 8.55am for 15 mins but included in that 15 mins is 5 mins of washing hands time, having a wee etc,so you only actually get 10 mins rest time. then not another break till 11.55 am of which the first 5 mins is again to walk to toilet wash hands etc then have only a clear 20 mins actual tea/lunch break.

Is this right?
Almost certainly breaking the law - breaks are meant to be taken as breaks, in much the same way as legally guaranteed paid holidays now have to be taken as time off, and in the year they're given (as opposed to worked and paid in-lieu).

Edit: read the original post in haste, and assumed 'washing-up time' meant washing tea-cups, tea-pot, plates etc, not washing hands. On that basis, my reply was partially wrong - employers can make you wash hands, etc, in your statutory allowed breaks. The position on using the toilet during allowed breaks isn't actually spelt out in law one way or another, although most tribunals would say it comes under 'Implied terms in contracts of employment', and the employer can't prevent you from taking breaks when you need them.

Last edited by markjmd; 04 January 2012 at 09:30 PM.