View Single Post
Old 08 September 2012, 04:12 PM
Richard Shaw
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimmyboyWRX
Quite true, i'm a teacher myself at an Essex comprehensive, and you are right, I work through my lunch hour (not saying anyone else doesnt in different lines of work). I run lunchtime clubs and work 13 hour days at least once an month ( and thats just in the school not including all the 13 hour days taken up with marking and planning and meetings) and I've just come back from a weekend spend taking 35 students on Duke of Endinburgh hike.

We get no overtime pay, as some people regard teaching staff in almost like priests with 24 hour callout or something similar, so before anyone on here starts knocking the length of the holdays, try and learn something about the profession you are judging

Thanks in advance

Why are people using this minimum 1265 hours per year figure as though its a huge ammount? On the face of it 1265 hour sounds alot but divide that by the number of days in a year, 365, and its actually very little. Even if you take the weekends out of the year it still works out at less than 5 hours a day. Im not saying teachers dont work hard and i understand that this is a minimum figure but there are not many jobs i can think of which pays nearly £20k starting and you work an average of less than 5 hours a day. Try running your own business where you have to work 7 days a week 365 days a year and you never get to work away from it because even when your not physically there you have people phoning you or your filling out tax returns and invoices.
Yes teachers work hard but i hate the way they make out like they are hard done by, decent money and lower than average hours. It dont sound all that bad to me.