View Single Post
Old 25 April 2013, 09:55 AM
Big sparks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a bit of an install guide I put up of another forum after fitting mine , hopefully it's of some use to anyone not sure about fitting them ,

Job done !!! Total time was 1.5 hours from opening bonnet to closing it again at the end ! Done another car the following day in an hour once I knew what's what

Tools and equiptment needed :

Ratchet and medium length bar
1x 10mm & 1x 12mm socket
Wire cutters
Crimp tool
Ring crimps x3
Female spade connectors x8
Inline fuse holder and fuse
Insulation tape (black)
2x m6 bolts with nuts and washers

Steps I took ( in brief ) :

1. Remove grille
2. Remove existing horns and disconnect
3. Loosen power steering cooler bracket ( center one under bonnet catch )
4. Pull all cables in and crimp where needed
5. Mount new horns with wires connected and tighten ps cooler bracket
6. Connect up relay and power supplies
7. Test horns
8. Refit grille
9. Close bonnet
10. Cover your ears and admire the look/sound

I mounted mine as per the first pic , each to their own but this seems to space them out nicely , all you need is 2x m6 bolts 2x m6 washers and 2x m6 nuts ( no drilling required )
The only mod needed was to bend the power steering bracket and re fit it so the horn would sit in front of it and not fail the grille when re-fitted

Now wiring these up !
You can simply just use the existing horn wiring and just connect up your new ones in minutes ! BUT this will not give you full power to the new horns and therefore will not be as loud as they should be . So take an extra half hour to wire in the supplied relay ! Connections are as follows .....

Relay prong numbers and wiring (hopefully a bit of a beginners guide)

#86) existing horn wire take one of the existing horn wires off, and extend the wiring with the wire you bought, use a female spade connector and plug it in on the relay .

#30) This one is your live from the battery, using a ring crimp (for example ) on one end of the cable and a female spade connector on the other end join it from + on battery to #30 on relay Via inline fuse to rate it down

#85) This is the ground, cut a wire approx 9-10" long and fit 1x ring crimp and 1x female spade connector either end ,and use the grounding point right next to the battery on the inside of the wing ( perfect if you want to hide the relay down by the battery somewhere)

#87) This one is the (+) on the hella horns. Run 2 wires off the # 87 prong ( double up in the female spade connector ) long enough to reach each horn and fit a female connector to each of the ends (obviously then plug them in to your horns )

That's the relay wired up and all you need now is a ground to each horn !

I used the point where my horns are mounted , running a short wire from the (-) on the back of the horn to the bolt on the mounting bracket with a ring crimp on one end (for the bolt to pass through ) and female connector on the other To push onto the horn

That's it job done !!! Enjoy .

Old horns out and ps cooler loosened

Horns connected and mounted

Grille back in

All done

Excuse the dirty car and crap phone pics ! Hope this is of use to anyone who wants to fit these , I'm chuffed with the sound and look !

Dave

If I've missed anything or you have a question just pm/post on here and I'll try and help out where I can