View Single Post
Old 21 October 2002, 09:55 PM
Ivor_the_engine_ChooChoo!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red diesel is probably about the best quality diesel fuel you can buy. There is far less chance of anyone mesing with it, by diluting it with other substances to make more profit, which happens very often with normal diesel.
Obviously it is not supposed to be used as a road fuel. Apparently customs have some sort of litmus paper type device, whaere they simply place it over the exhaust, and they can tell by the colour the paper turns whether red is being used. Havent seen this myself, but it did come from a good source.
Though, if you got away with using it for a few years, then you would save a fortune. eg. Hypothetically of course, if I had been using the stuff in a cheap runabout for work etc. for the last 5 years or so, I would have saved over £10,000, which that money could have been spent on more worthwhile things.....like modifying my subaru.
Of course I didnt as I am just giving an example.
How many times have you actually seen customs dipping????????
It would be pointless using red now and again, it would take a while for the traces of it to be removed from the tank, and even if they detect any red, you will still be done.
First offence is usually approx £500 on the spot.
I recall for a while someone I knew was buying the stuff for 13p/l, although it is now about 20p/l. They just bought an oil tank for the house, and get 1000l at a time delivered.

How reckless of these people, robbing our poor Mr Blair and his buddy Mr Prescot of his well deserved taxes. Very inconsiderate I think, and I would never consider doing such a thing, not even a little bit.

[Edited by Ivor_the_engine_ChooChoo! - 10/21/2002 10:02:17 PM]