View Single Post
Old 22 April 2004, 08:52 PM
Bandit127
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zesty
I told him that they could be hard and have him for no insurance. I feel sorry for him as his/my father inlaw sold him the car and told him it had an MOT.
As someone who's been done for no MOT more times that I've got the fingers to count on - the following is true:
If your mate produced valid insurance then he can't be convicted of having no insurance. Regardless of what p*ssass small print he's got on his insurance certificate - you can't be convicted for having no insurance if you have a valid certificate for when you were stopped.
Your mate will get NO POINTS for no MOT. Zero. Zilch. Nowt. Not having MOT is NOT an endorsable offence.
(The idea is that you break down in tears upon arrest, tell the arresting officer you've got no MOT and then he pulls the car in to the Police Garage for a good check over. Then you get 3 points for each brake light bulb not working/bald tire/empty washer bottle....)

In my time (it was a few years ago) it was a standard £40 fine and that's it.

Jim

P.S. Funny thing getting old - used to think insurance was a p*sstake - went without for a good 5 years. Wouldn't go out for a packet of **** without it now...