Old 20 November 2005, 11:16 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

god knows what side of engine lol-im sat on drivers seat lol-but for first few beats of engine its got a differant sound-hard to explain-but sounds like its not beating right-hopefully someone can put into words the sound i hear lol

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Oh right it's worse when cold, so a tappet is draining down overnight and not re-filling. Ignore my rubbish on the thicker oils then

A drained tappet causing slack clearances won't cause the valve to the burn out, as the clearance actually means the valve is shut and the noise is caused by the gap between the tappet and the cam.
Unfortunately, now my brain has just kicked into gear - there is a flipside where a sticking valve causes the same noise (and that will burn out). The latter very rarely happens these days unless you have bent valve (usually from a cambelt failure that's not been correctly repaired) or excessive varnish deposits on the stem (never happens in this day and age), so it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

More likely to be a gummed up tappet- Can I hazard a guess...right hand side of the engine on the exhaust cam? That usually the favourite.

Personally I've had limited sucess in using tappet treatments products. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't, and in some cases I've improvemnets changing the oil at several close intervals. And some fix themselves after a good long motorway blast with the revs held above 3000rpm for an hour or so. Not much help, but that's the way it is!