View Single Post
Old 11 January 2006, 09:10 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark28
hi all, i have a my99 sti type R, my car is pritty much standard at the min. but i am going build it up as i go, i would like to have a ECU which i can get programmed as many times as i like. what i need to know is what it a good ECU with a option for ALS. but things i want to keep in mind are "how many people can map it" also "does it cost alot ever time i want to map it"

just one more thing, if someone could explain how a anti lag system works. i would be very greatfull

thanks mark
Your options are:

MoTeC
GEMS
Autronic

The autronic is probably the cheapest at £1495+vat including fitting and mapping. They work very well and provide good road manners. The MoTeC is arguably better, as it has more features, but most of them will not be used on a road car, the price however reflects this, and you are looking at closer to £1800+vat or more depending on the options you have enabled in the ECU.

If you want ALS for competition use, then I would go with the MoTeC option, but for anything else the Autronic will give arguable better value for money. If you want to start modifying the mapping, you will need to purchase a cable from MoTeC and GEMS to use with their respective ECU, this will add £150-£200+vat to the cost.

Can I ask why you want ALS, and what you think it will give you? It's not a magic fix for lag, and is not without serious side effects.

Paul