View Single Post
Old 20 May 2007, 09:36 PM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
The 1988 Education Act brought in the statutary school year of 195 days, in which the school MUST be open, by law, to pupils for 190, and the remaining 5 are "training days".

It doesn't sound much, does it? Except that the same Act brought in a statutary minimum requirement of 1265 hours per year........but NO LEGAL MAXIMUM

Which meant that many, many teachers were doing the 1265 hours, staying behind after classes, running clubs, doing training, attending meetings, and then taking marking, preparation and planning home with them.

All for a starting salary of £19000 with a degree and a teaching qualification.

Alcazar
Quite true, i'm a teacher myself at an Essex comprehensive, and you are right, I work through my lunch hour (not saying anyone else doesnt in different lines of work). I run lunchtime clubs and work 13 hour days at least once an month ( and thats just in the school not including all the 13 hour days taken up with marking and planning and meetings) and I've just come back from a weekend spend taking 35 students on Duke of Endinburgh hike.

We get no overtime pay, as some people regard teaching staff in almost like priests with 24 hour callout or something similar, so before anyone on here starts knocking the length of the holdays, try and learn something about the profession you are judging

Thanks in advance