Old 29 February 2008, 10:25 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes 220 CDi - losing power/speed at 80mph..

Hi,

Need some info/advice regarding an issue I have found on my new car. Recently traded in the old family mule, a Merc 200 Sport for a 55 reg Mercedes 220 CDi.

Car is in lovely condition, has 70k miles but only 2 owners and full history. I noticed the car developed an issue today, hadn't taken it out since getting it as I have been driving the scooby mostly.

Drives fine below 80 mph, everything works, cruise controls engages and disengages (thought it was the speed limiter on this at first). The autobox engages fine so don't think it's a drivetrain issue.

No fault codes are coming up on the dash and when I ran the diagnostics test it only reported that Service B was due in 2000 miles.

The Symptoms:

When driving at speed, accelerates fine, changes gears on time with no hesitation etc, turbo spools up fine from what I can hear under the noisy diesel however when it gets to around 80 mph it starts to feel like it's losing power or hesitating and struggles to get beyond 80 mph.

I wondered if it's not making boost however everything visually under the hood looks fine, the turbo looks okay and I can't see any leaks anywhere. Checked the air filter which looks clean as well (engine bay looks prestine).

I am not familiar with the diesel turbo engines on Merc's but reading a few posts on the net (not my model specifically) people have reported similar symptoms and put it down to the MAF/MAS being buggered.

I have 3 months warranty on the car so want to get a heads up on the problem so I can make sure the right things get replaced and the job is done properly as I don't want to drive 150 miles only to find the problem has returned.

Lol it's weird getting into the mule, I spent a few seconds trying to press the clutch only to remember it was the foot brake and I was in an auto. Then when the boost came on (torque is bloody nice on these Merc's) I was waiting for that head snapping power band and growl and then laughed and reminded myself I am not in the scooby :P

Thanks in advance,

Fz