Old 10 June 2008, 10:43 PM
CJ2000
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Proby521
I keep thinking about doing my NEBOSH, work did offer to pay for it. Problem is, I already work for the Safety Dept of a well known large construction company, as an engineer surveyor (carrying out independant examinations on plant) and I know they will expect me to also then work as a safety advisor with no extra money. So I get the NEBOSH, but they expect me to do 2 jobs for the same money! I dont think so, stick to my 25-30 hours a week!

Proby
Use it as a tool to get a payrise. They asked me to increase my 'skill set' (buzz word this year!) and do the NEBOSH General. I'm a Plant Manager with a busy workshop with staff who think that because they haven't had a major accident yet they must be doing something right (can't argue with that kind of thinking - especially when one of them walked backwards into the pit the other day!).

We have a H&S department who are stretched already with our construction sites and unfortunately the workshop gets forgotten - so I've done it to have some knowledge and be the 'competent person' but in return I've asked for recognition.

What harm can asking do?