View Single Post
Old 05 September 2009, 10:52 AM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Association of British Insurers classifies Categories of 'Write-Off' as:

Category A: Scrap only - this vehicle should have been crushed. It should never reappear on the road and there are no economically salvageable parts. It is of value only for scrap metal - e.g. a totally burnt-out vehicle.

Category B: The bodyshell should have been crushed. The vehicle should never reappear on the road, but it can be broken for spare parts plus any residual scrap metal.

Category C: Vehicle extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. The vehicle should have an independent inspection before being allowed back onto the road.

Category D: Vehicle damaged and insurer has decided not to repair.

So category D is the least serious category of write-off. It is really just an economic decision; the insurer decides that giving you the value of the car will be cheaper than paying for the repair.

If the car has been properly repaired, then it is worth as much as a car that was not written off.

You need to either check the car carefully yourslef and speak to the garage that repaired it or have it inspected by a mechanic. Getting an MOT at a garage your trust is often the cheapest way to do this.

Source : http://www.usedcarexpert.co.uk/revie...Write_Off_1139

Last edited by scooby_me; 05 September 2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Source