Old 19 May 2010, 05:51 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saalro
V1 or 2 engine, fully closed.

What's the difference between short engines and i guess "tall" engines? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,
Sam
As I understand it, a short engine is just the block, crank, pistons, rods, sump and thats about it... a 'tall' engine includes the heads, ancillaries like water pump, air con, power steering, inlet manifold perhaps turbo, part of the exhaust maybe etc depends on the exact one, but generally short engines are without heads and tall or long engines (not sure myself which is the correct term - perhaps wide given the flat 4 layout ) also include the heads.

Short engines will as said above be compatible with most if not all existing setups if the right head gasket is selected - however if you change the displacement then it will need setting up again. Swapping a 2.0 short engine for a 2.5 short engine will run very lean until re-mapped to suit.

Short engines are generally easier to move between cars - its the heads that are the clever bit and they are model dependant for plumbing / wiring etc so its often easier to keep heads and just replace the short engine so you don't have to re-wire / re-plumb the whole car

Hope that helps a bit