Old 04 September 2010, 11:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by alanbell
sounds (looks) like the plasterer renderded the wall in one thick coat, he should have scrath coat (base coat) it first let it dry a bit then 2nd coat it , then leave for a day then skim, if you put render on in 1 coat to thick it will crack when it drys.
Render done right is much better than dry lineing >> dot and dab
Bollox, the walls can be done in one go(two coat work) no problem giving a wall a scratch coat then plastering allows for more shrinkage or more problems.

Sand cement is a **** and if not applied right or the right mix you get what you have I have just done 2 rooms for someone today and it used to be original solid plaster but I have dot and dabbed the walls and it is just a quality job as the walls are warmer to the touch and its just a better job. Getting someone to render internal walls on a property is madness as there is no need for such archaic materials. Those cracks are really bad and I bet if you tap on the wall it will have a hollow sound which will definately mean its down to application My house is a 30's house and its all solid plaster and its full of cracks I have tried to repair the cracks and it cracks alongside of the repair. All the work I have boarded over is excellent and its getting to the point where I'm just thinking of stripping the walls and boarding over the rest.

I have just thought aren't you the person that was asking about what to do with the room about a month ago??? As far as I could tell you stripped the plaster off brickwork and told the plaster he had to sand and cemet?? Brickwork walls that have been stripped will have the least suction possible and getting a render coat to apply properly will be a nightmare as you can plainly see. Most of the blame for the cracking will be on you and your decision.

Last edited by stevebt; 04 September 2010 at 11:30 PM.