Notices
West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club (WYIOC) The official dedicated forum for West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club.

just bought this

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2010, 11:12 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought this

1999 SUBARU IMPREZA TURBO 2000 AWD SILVER on eBay (end time 02-Jan-10 10:10:18 GMT)
have been watching this on ebay for the past week, and as mine is off the road at the min thought it would be a good project for me to mess about with till i get it back.i have wanted something like this for a while to give me some knowledge of taking a subaru engine out and maybe rebuilding another.only thing is now i have bought it i dont know whether to put another engine in it and keep it as my second car to run about in.or as it has got a few nice bits on it to strip it down and sell the bits on.looks a bit too nice to break up though but if there is enough interest i will.what does everyone think.
Old 02 January 2010, 12:10 PM
coops78
Scooby Regular

Good car for the the money that mate especially with the dccd and the coilovers
Old 02 January 2010, 12:47 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coops78
Good car for the the money that mate especially with the dccd and the coilovers
yeah thats what i thought,its got quite a few nice bits on it and it doesnt look in too bad nick either.it should give me some experiance in replacing the engine if nothing else.
Old 02 January 2010, 12:58 PM
Big Pete
Scooby Regular

Nice looking car.

Good luck with the engine. It'll be well interesting to see it when you're on the road
Old 02 January 2010, 02:18 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

looks a nice motor arf,some nice bits on it too
If you decide to rebuild/put another motor in and need a hand give us a shout done more than my fair share on scoobs

Tim
Old 02 January 2010, 02:28 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tweaks
looks a nice motor arf,some nice bits on it too
If you decide to rebuild/put another motor in and need a hand give us a shout done more than my fair share on scoobs

Tim
will do mate,thanks for that.i have done lots of work myself on mine but taking the engine out and stripping/rebuilding is something i havnt really gone into yet.nice to know the help is there if needed though.
Old 02 January 2010, 02:33 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

thats what were here for mate
Old 02 January 2010, 02:36 PM
carl swailes
Scooby Regular

everybobys buying wagon's
look's spot on for what you paid for it well pleased for you have a good year now
Old 02 January 2010, 02:40 PM
carl swailes
Scooby Regular

thats what were here for mate
are you still after a wagon tweeks as a second car well pleased with our's the trouble is two scooby's cost twice as much as one but what the heck you only live once

Last edited by carl swailes; 02 January 2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02 January 2010, 07:27 PM
steve jackson
Scooby Regular

Default engine

Arf you will have two cars of the road now, why not buy this engine (https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...-4-engine.html) to get you on the road and do the other engine up as and when you have the time?
Still a cheap if you can get it cheeper.

Steve
Old 02 January 2010, 07:37 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve jackson
Arf you will have two cars of the road now, why not buy this engine (https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...-4-engine.html) to get you on the road and do the other engine up as and when you have the time?
Still a cheap if you can get it cheeper.

Steve
i havnt bought the wagon as something to get me back on the road steve.i have a girly puma as a daily driver,i have always wanted to know the ins an outs of taking a subaru engine out/stripping it down,so i thought as mine is off the road and i have nothing to mess with at the moment i would buy this to pass some time on and get me some knowledge at the same time.i have had a look at the engine in the link but i am going to wate till i get the car and strip the engine thats in it first,if its too sha**ed i will just buy another good 2nd hand one to put in.if when its done i can afford to run the both of them then i will sell the puma and use the wagon as my daily driver.anyway steve whats all this i see about you not being able to wash and wax your own car.
Old 02 January 2010, 08:12 PM
steve jackson
Scooby Regular

I love getting them mucky mate, but hate cleaning em, and Rich likes cleaning it .....so who am I to spoil his fun :

Steve
Old 02 January 2010, 11:44 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl swailes
are you still after a wagon tweeks as a second car well pleased with our's the trouble is two scooby's cost twice as much as one but what the heck you only live once
thinking about a wagon mate yes,there cheap enough at the moment but i'm gonna have to spend quite a few more pennies on the one i've got now because she's due some more bits like coilovers arf (cough,cough)
Old 03 January 2010, 06:14 AM
carl swailes
Scooby Regular

thinking about a wagon mate yes,there cheap enough at the moment but i'm gonna have to spend quite a few more pennies on the one i've got now because she's due some more bits like coilovers arf (cough,cough)
no were you coming from turbo/pink's and remap hopimg for the magic 350 this time helen's wagon will have to wait a little while yet
Old 03 January 2010, 09:59 AM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

due some better brakes too,wheels,tyres..............it goes on and on
Old 03 January 2010, 10:22 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

someone mention something about better brakes and coilovers.ive got these babys gathering dust at home.

Old 03 January 2010, 10:51 AM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

your a tease Arf are they for the flying machine when its ready or are they surplus to requirements

are you gonna need even bigger brakes now ???
Old 03 January 2010, 11:01 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

there for me sti when i finally get it back and get round to fitting them.if them ap's dont stop me then god knows what will.dont know whether the coilovers will make much difference as i already have teins on it now.i just thought as the bc's have adjustable damping that they would make for a better setup.roll on scoobysprint.
Old 03 January 2010, 04:06 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

gonna have a go again this year hopefully more than 1 event though.
just got to sort the brakes and suspension first should have it done in time
be good to see your car being used as i've only briefly seen it outside work when you dropped your van off.then heard you down the old A1.............heard it for longer than i saw it

Tim
Old 03 January 2010, 04:37 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

gonna have a go again this year hopefully more than 1 event though.
just got to sort the brakes and suspension first should have it done in time
be good to see your car being used as i've only briefly seen it outside work when you dropped your van off.then heard you down the old A1.............heard it for longer than i saw it

Tim
yeah its nealy a year ago now,will be bringing van back up for another mot soon.itl be good to get a full team up this year for the scoobysprint.
Old 03 January 2010, 05:15 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

good idea we'll have to see who else fancies it then

you could always use the wagon ???

Tim
Old 03 January 2010, 06:39 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Tim
i'm hoping im not going to need it mate.
Old 03 January 2010, 08:40 PM
coops78
Scooby Regular

good idea we'll have to see who else fancies it then

Tim
i'm gonna enter a few this year
Old 03 January 2010, 09:05 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coops78
i'm gonna enter a few this year
should be a few of us then (team Carr)haha
Old 03 January 2010, 09:17 PM
Yox
Scooby Regular

Don't forget to fit the missing front strut bolt
Looks good, even with a knackered engine you would recoup your money in parts alone, I would have thought.
Old 03 January 2010, 10:10 PM
carl swailes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigarf
there for me sti when i finally get it back and get round to fitting them.if them ap's dont stop me then god knows what will.dont know whether the coilovers will make much difference as i already have teins on it now.i just thought as the bc's have adjustable damping that they would make for a better setup.roll on scoobysprint.
are the old bit up for grabs then give us a shout if they aremight try a couple of runs at soobysprint this year be nice to get back into some motorsport after 20years away from it not getting any younger
Old 03 January 2010, 10:33 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

are the old bit up for grabs then give us a shout if they aremight try a couple of runs at soobysprint this year be nice to get back into some motorsport after 20years away from it not getting any younger
i've got someone interested in my old brembos when i get around to taking them off,so i will have to give him first refusal.i'll post the teins up on here first once there off to give anyone on here first chance at them.
Old 06 January 2010, 08:54 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

well,me and are jay (me brother)set off yesterday to pick the wagon up from glasgow.to say it was quite an eventfull day was an understatment,it got that bad at one point that are jay phoned his wife and told her we wasnt going to make it home alive.we set off at 7am,it was pitch black and snowing like fekk.we had only been on the A1 for half an hour and as i was in the middle lane going past a row of lorrys,one of the dicides to pull out behind me,only he didnt see i had the car trailer on.next thing are jay shouts f**kme as the lorry hits the trailer and sends me sideways.i managed to rectify it and keep going as the snow was so bad i just couldnt pull over,so we kept on going till we got to a services,he had just clipped the back of the trailer and smashed the lights off.then things got even worse as roads were being closed off and we had to detour all over the place.finally at 12.30 we got there,the snow had stopped up there but they had to tow the car to the nearest main road with there 4+4 so we could loaden it onto the trailer.then we got on our way back,we were making good ground until we hit the A66 which was closed on the way there but had opened back up.the weather was like a blzzard and it was a very hilly long road.as we needed to keep some speed up to climb the hills i was trying to get as much momentem as poss,untill we reached one certain hill,hit a snow drift totally lost it,infact i was that sideways that are jay looked out his side window and waved at the cars behind us.anyway fekk nows how i managed to come out of that one but i got back hold of it and carried on only to find that just over the hill a lorry had crashed and blocked the road.so there we sat for over 2 hours while the cops did nowt.after nearly 3 hours the cops told us all to reverse back nearly a mile(ha in a transit van with a car on the trailer in the snow)to a break in the central reservation,then we had to go all the way back the way we came.eventually we had to take the M6 which finnally got us home at 10.30,what a day.so the moral of this very long story is dont be a total idiot like me and set off to glasgow to pick a car up on the worst day for centurys. a pick of us on the way home.

as i carnt do much at work this time of year i got the car in the barn and made a start on getting the engine out this afternoon.2 an a half hours later.

got the engine on the bench

then started to strip it down.

thats as far as i have got cos i was starving so i went home for some tea.should be able to get the rest of the engine stripped tomorrow and find out what the problem is.
Old 06 January 2010, 09:41 PM
carl swailes
Scooby Regular

well see you've got it home in one peice sounds like you had an eventful day.
last time i was up there when it snowed was stranded for 4hour then 20mph down m6 behind a snow plough for 75mile not good . Well aleast you both got home ok thats a good thing
Old 06 January 2010, 11:00 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

well see you've got it home in one peice sounds like you had an eventful day.
last time i was up there when it snowed was stranded for 4hour then 20mph down m6 behind a snow plough for 75mile not good . Well aleast you both got home ok thats a good thing
iye i wa ready for wrighting my will out,but then i realised all i own is 2 scoobys and both of them are knackered.

Quick Reply: just bought this