Headlight sale problem

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2012, 09:47 PM
supa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight sale problem

Hi guys

I sold some headlights from my car to bighoose on here he fited them and said he had problems, so he then took it to the garage, japtech in hull i think

they have told him the relay is broken or messed up and the lights have a bad earth, when fitted before and this has corroded or worn the connectors,

when he fitted them he stated that the indicator and dipped beam worked fine but wehn he turned on the full beam the bulb went out. and this happened all the time he tried to put the full beam on.

I took the lights off my car and they worked fine, I was not aware of any damage as they were used lights that are over 6 years old, there was no cracks or broken bits that i could see before i sold them.

now the buyer wants a full refund, I need to see what the problem was and have tried to call the garage but the person i need to speak with is not in until monday..

what should I do? have the lights been fitted correctly?

what is the relay on lights as I have no idea on electronics.

thanks sak

Last edited by supa; 28 January 2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 28 January 2012, 09:48 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Any relays for the lights are surely on the car, not on the light units. What model were the lights for?
Old 28 January 2012, 10:23 PM
supa
Scooby Regular

they were morettes,

here are some pics

Old 28 January 2012, 10:47 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Sounds more like a poor job of fitting them than anything else.
I'd want them back to inspect them fully before thinking of giving a refund.
Old 28 January 2012, 11:13 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A relay for morettes can be picked up for a few quid.
Just sounds like another garage not wanting to do things properly again.
Old 28 January 2012, 11:45 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bug Morettes are a nightmare with all the relays and wires plus the corrosion over the years they have been fitted.

Caveat Emptor buying stuff unless you advertised them as new and never been fitted..

Have you got a link to the sale ?

Shaun
Old 29 January 2012, 12:20 AM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Have they got an HID kit installed?

I've got bugeye morettes and when i fitted them with an HID kit they did the same - the car's standard wiring switches the dipped beam off when using full beam. This meant the HIDs went out, and you get a couple of seconds of darkness as you switch the full beam off (whilst the HIDs fire up). The reason is apparently the Subaru wiring switches the earth rather than the 12v?

Anyway - to fix, run the earth for the HIDs (or dipped beam bulb) to the chassis or some permanent earth. This means they stay on whilst switching to full beam and all is fine

Its Subaru wiring being strange, nothing wrong with the morettes imo...
Old 29 January 2012, 07:41 AM
bighoose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Bug Morettes are a nightmare with all the relays and wires plus the corrosion over the years they have been fitted.

Caveat Emptor buying stuff unless you advertised them as new and never been fitted..

Have you got a link to the sale ?

Shaun
Hi lads, its me the lights were sold to .Im not blaming Sak here in any way or saying he knew the lghts were faulty as he cut the original plugs from the car in order to remove the lights. There was 2 screws missing holding down the main light holder which i didnt hink was such a problem i cold have got 2 screws. The issue was when i tried to remove the old connections that he had cut off they were almost fused together and green with oxidisation and also had some moisture in them. I put them into Japtech in Hull to have the looked at and also wired up correctly as I am not an auto electrician and thought it was wrong that one of the lights didnt work. They told me that the lights were in great condition externally but the plugs were all coroded, every connectin damp and that they COULD fix them but it was a re wire of the lights and also the connections. Obv i am not willing to pay extra for this and I am a bit miffed I had to go trhought this. I am willing to send them back to Sak for a full refund with nothingh more siad , but I do believe he didnt know the connectios were at fault because he simply left on the old plugs and cut the wires and as he said they have been on 6 years ?

Lee
Old 29 January 2012, 07:54 AM
Scooby Senior

They are second hand bugeye morettes, they are a pain with the wiring that they have.

The lights aren't faulty, they just need someone that knows what they are doing to fit them. This is what happens when you buy bugeye morette lights that have been fitted before. If you want lights that work out of the box, buy brand new ones and then prepare to get them re wired in a couple of years when they start to play up

I would say that it is not supa's fault, if you want to blame anyone, blame morette for making them!
Old 29 January 2012, 08:09 AM
bighoose
Scooby Regular

If i want lights that work buy them brand new out the box ?? lol shouldnt state that they are in prefect working condition when they are put up for sale then surely ? Look the lights are in decent enough nik but the main part is not how they are wired up ITS THE connections all oxidised and worn and were almost welded to the original connections. I think if you look up Japtech in Hull you will find they are a reputable company and have been working on Japanese cars for quite some time.If its the case of them not working and need an ovehaul then fine but I would not have bought them if this was stated in the first place ....Cheers for your comments tho , not looking for a soltion on here as I have already let paypal know about the dispute .

Lee
Old 29 January 2012, 08:13 AM
Scooby Senior

f the connections are oxidised, get a bit of emery out and clean them up!
Old 29 January 2012, 08:19 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

TBH, rewiring the morettes is not a big job and any half decent auto-electrician should be able to do it in no more than an hour. IIRC there's 3 relays on the lights; they can be bought for about £2 each, some standard crimp connectors will cost a couple of quid and a H4 plugs is again a couple of quid - add an hours labour £35, for about £50 you could have the lights all working and better than new - I bet you'd be charged more for fitting when there's 4 push connecters for the grill and 3 bolts to undo on the lights. The swap out of factory to morrettes is a 20 minute job at most if all is working. I can do WRX to STI lights (including re-wiring the lights to fit the WRX loom and mounting ballasts for JDM lights) in an hour.

TBH I don't think there is a dispute, they are second hand and this is what happens when you buy stuff second hand.

I've just had the same with my Brembos, stripped them for painting prior to fitting and found a couple of piston seals split. I didn't ask about the seal, the replacement kit is £100, but just because the seals are split hasn't stopped the brakes working perfectly (and won't unless I fail to repair them). Just zip up the man suit and get on with it
Old 29 January 2012, 08:47 AM
bighoose
Scooby Regular

so you think i should buy lights and then pay another £50 to have them refurbed . Sorry not how i do things lol i buy lights and other gear off ebay with the genuine thought of having them fully working when they arrive to me. If i didnt expect that then i simply wouldnt buy , so I dont agree with emery on the connectinos , paying auto electricians to fix them do them up or whatever ,. the description said that they would plug into my exsisting wiring and work perfectly which is simply not the case. FYI this is my 4th scooba and my 3rd set of morettes I have bought and TBH the only set I have had a problem with because as you said its normally a 20 minute job , took me 30 secs to take grille off and another 5 minutes a side for my old lights .....cheers again tho for your input only adds to my claim that you think i should have to work on them before fitting .....

Lee
Old 29 January 2012, 08:49 AM
bighoose
Scooby Regular

what i will say lads is you notice there is no pics of the rear of the lights only the fronts which look spanking as I thought..The reason being all the old connectors were cut off because the could not simply be taken off . I have another pair from a lad on here scott@scoobyparts which im pretty sure would not have the same problem, damn sure i wont have to refurb them before i fit them to my car .
Old 29 January 2012, 08:56 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

ive got a wiring set for these headlights if you are interested? includes relays etc.
Old 29 January 2012, 09:08 AM
bighoose
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jamo, ill wait and see what the outcome is mate but ill keep you in mind. I dont mind getting them reurbed by i wont be paying for it mate I dont think i should have to really .
Old 29 January 2012, 09:26 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

totally have to agree with seller.

they are second hand lights.

wouldnt entertain it personally
Old 29 January 2012, 09:44 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...eadlights.html

........ is the original advert I would guess.

Shaun
Old 29 January 2012, 10:02 AM
subzerokent
Scooby Regular

If it was me Id personally just sort the wiring

Good luck with PayPal they won't do a thing as it weren't thro eBay been there done that
Old 29 January 2012, 10:03 AM
bighoose
Scooby Regular

Cheers legacy for your input mate , you havent seen the lights so thats to be expected, you wouldnt buy anything seond hand and then expect to have to spend your own money to make it work would you ? didnt think so .... ans as Shaun has put up that is the original advert ...note MINT condition .......id take it as stated they were so and this is not the case ....cheers Shaun
Old 29 January 2012, 10:10 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

@bighoose.

no point asking me a question and then answering it yourself.

I understand where you are coming from. You read plug and play etc and didnt expect complications.

Seller i assume sold good faith as i would they were working fine on his car and like anything disturbed after years of sitting there im sure corrosion is possible.

Point im making is sometimes buying second hand isnt always straight forward and thats chance you take. As its only small wiring tidy up you need done. Be part of job for fitter to sort. No big deal.

Now if you received then and there were cracked or broken and you werent told about this or were badly packed and got broke then id totaly agree with you the buyer.
Old 29 January 2012, 10:12 AM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Just looked at the ad. Described as "mint" which it does sound like they are not. If I'd sold them for 300 then I'd be happy to refund 50 .
How much does Jamo want for the wiring set ?
Could a deal not be sorted?
Old 29 January 2012, 10:13 AM
bighoose
Scooby Regular

you are protected by paypal for any good purchased where money exchange took place, spoke to them on the phone yesterday and I do have a case ...will keep you updated tho , just looking to put this to bed really , im an honest ebayer of 5 years, 650 stars , 100% ...never F***ed anyone over in my life but i will state if im not happy with a wrongly advertised item ..
Old 29 January 2012, 10:17 AM
bighoose
Scooby Regular

yeh i get your point legacy , if i had received the lights and they were in a condition i was acceptable with then fine but the original plugs from his car were still on the light sockets on the morettes because of corrosion ,he had simply cut them off so i think he knew that they had corrosion hence the snipping of his headlight wires and the fact he could not get them off the morette sockets , i struggled to get them off and was in fear of damaging them , took ages to sperate them they were almose welded on
Old 29 January 2012, 10:19 AM
bighoose
Scooby Regular

Not sure BOB ill pm and ask but i dont think i should have to pay for these to be rewired , if Sak is willing to pay to have them rewired then i would go with that , its just labour charges i want to avoid
Old 29 January 2012, 10:59 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Dont like to see anyone stuck, so they are yours, if you pay for delivery.
Old 29 January 2012, 11:03 AM
bighoose
Scooby Regular

Sak if you pay for the labour i will have the reqiring kit fitted
Old 29 January 2012, 11:07 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

mate they are just plug in, you will be able to do it yourself.
Old 29 January 2012, 12:08 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Caveat Emptor - buyer beware, I believe the onus is on the buyer in this scenario to ensure the item for sale fully meets their requirements and expectations.

Knowing that these things need a rewire / refurb every 5 years or so with regular use, I would just get on and do it - either myself or use an autospark to do it. Just view it as preventative maintenance, you dont want to be caught out by your headlights becoming intermittent when on a journey, or having to lay the car up to get the work done after they are fitted.

Cant be much more than £50 to have it done - unless you paid over the odds for a used item, you should still see a saving over something BNIB.
Old 29 January 2012, 12:15 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Private sale so there is no requirement that the quality has to be that of new (good old caveat emptor)....... however the seller has the legal requirement to describe the goods accurately (the seller has no defence of good faith, he has legal title so should have known the plugs were corroded)

Personally If I had sold them I would give the buyer the money to get them repaired.

Shaun

Quick Reply: Headlight sale problem