Styling Exterior styling

MudFlaps 2008+ (Hatch) DIY Fitting guide

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2013, 10:07 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Lightbulb MudFlaps 2008+ (Hatch) DIY Fitting guide

Ok Ok OK, I had some OE Subaru mudflaps but didn't real like them, a bit stiff and very plasticy looking.

Having looked whats on offer I wasn't going to want to pay £150+ (by the time you add Import Tax + VAT, handling charges etc etc) to import Rally Armor mudflaps from the USA.

So I opted for the Performance Creations MudFlaps after seeing Hughy's (MY11 Saloon) car with them on.

http://www.performancecreations.co.u...range-50-c.asp

I went for this set and asked for smaller STi logos, which they did.
http://www.performancecreations.co.u...logo-144-p.asp

I said to Ian (from P-C) I'd do a Photo Guide fro ppl to fit to make it easier to understand than the basic instruction sent with the flaps.

FITTING TIME: I allowed all afternoon, I'd say give yourself at least 3 hrs. Fitting doesn't take the time it's more the jacking up and wheel removal and re fitting.

TOOLS NEEDED... 6mm plastic drill bit, cordless drill!!!. general tools for tightening nuts and bolts etc, screw drivers etc, hammer.

Here goes....... pic heavy.....

The brackets supplied with the MF are Stainless steel, so I didn't want that against the glossy flaps.
So I've etch primed them and gloss Black sprayed them (both sides) using HOLTS car paint @ £3.99 for a can. (3-4 coats of black and they look fine).

I thought I'd start on the rears.. thinking they would be easy to do..

First off trolly jack up the car and remove the alloy, then remove the OE Subaru MF and the related clips for it.

Where the two metal screws holding the OE Mudflap where, are used for the NEW push in clips for the STi Mudflaps

Fix the support bar in the wheel arch (I used the hole the OE mudflap used), don't tighten up yet!!

Push the two plastic clips into the bracket before mounting against the mudflap

The two inner holes have the Nut&Bolt attached to the bracket and Mudflap,

The last Nut and Blot is also attached to the support bar (that's already attached to the inner wheel arch trim plastic).

Once all in place tighten all the Nut/Bots up.

I added a coupke of drops of SuperGlue to the threads of the bolts once they were tightened.

When you've done that, bend the support bar to make a better fit.

__________________________________________________ ___

FRONTS.. I thought were going to be a nightmare as they needed to be drilled. TBH they were easier than the rears.. and they weren't difficult

Again, jack the front up and remove the wheel, OE Mudflap as well

Offer up the front bracket to the edge/platic trim like below,
If you get the inside part of the bracket against the inner part of the trim and the line evenly along the bottom edge, you'll have an even fitment.

Mark the bracket holes with a marker pen (so you know where to drill)

drill the 4 holes using a 6mm Drill bit (use a drill bit for plastic!!) Only drill the outter plastic trim. Don't carry on to the plastic under neath!!

Trim the ends off TWO of the Plastic clips, as they will be a bit too long for the two top holes you've drilled.

Attach the 4 plastic 6mm clips to the bracket then fit that to the MF (the two shorter clips go on the outside top two holes).
Make sure you press the flap well up against the bracket to make it snug. I used a flat head screw driver to ease it onto the clip better.

Then firmly press each clip in the holes you've drilled. I also carefully tapped them in using a hammer and using the soft plastic end of a screwdriver as a protective tapping block.

Done!!

Thanks for looking
Old 02 March 2013, 10:15 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Looking sweet Phil, are they not a bit low ?? Or are the pictures deceiving.
Old 02 March 2013, 10:23 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

may be the pix.. as I had to shift a bit of gravel to get teh jack under securely.

But they are at the correct hight for the holes PRE DRILLED in the flaps.
The hight of the rears is pre determined by the holes in the rear bumper.
The hight of the fronts is governed by the last/bottom holes in the bracket .. keeping on the plastic trim of the side skirt.

Did offer them up at various hights but they didn't look right nor would they have fitted as easy