Notices

Broken Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2014, 07:26 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Scooby

As most of you know earlier in the year I bought myself a divorce present which was my 2001 WRX UK300.

Here she is:

Looking back, I can't help feeling Nieve after what has transpired After the battle within between my heart saying buy it and my head saying don't, I eventually went ahead and now the inevitable has happened. The dreaded bottom end has gone.

When I bought the car from nottingham I was told by the seller that he had fitted a Heywood & Scott decat Downpipe. However it is actually a 3 inch Sports Cat Downpipe. The seller also told me that the car would need mapping for this new part and after seeking advice on here, I attempted to drive the car home off boost. I got as far as monmouth before the dreaded engine management light came on and at that point I pulled over to minimise the chance of further damage to the engine. At this point the engine still drove and sounded fine! the fault code turned out to be the EGT SENSOR BANK 1. The car was then recovered to my home where it has stayed until last friday.

It was at this point I thought it would be a good idea to get all the upgraded parts fit them and just map the car once and clear fault code at same time. So I went ahead and had the following fitted:

Turbo Dynamics Reconditioned VF35 Turbo
3 Port boost solenoid.
Scorpion Decat up pipe
std dump valve back on.
Rcm 340lph fuel pump
STI pink injectors
2x new rear shocks (KYB)
AEM wideband kit.
Boost,oil pressure and oil temp Gauges and pod.
Replaced a torn turbo induction pipe.
Ngk 7 heat grade plugs
New fuel filter
Oil and filter change Millers cfs 5w/40 competition oil.
Cosworth Panel Filter.

Last friday I got the car transported to Indigo GT, in order to be mapped so that the car would be finally roadworthy and then get my mot.

Here are some pics

I was looking forward to using my car and attending the next meet. However this was not the case. Once the car went on the rollers two faults became apparent.

The first fault was the reconditioned turbo not spooling or producing boost. It is suspected there is a actuator fault, and will be sent back under warranty. However the other fault was a bottom end rattle which became more noticeable when lifting off the throttle. Needless to say the mapping session was abandoned and I was left feeling gutted and stranded. Luckily my amazing Mrs came from carmarthen to pick me up and I was left feeling uncertain of what to do next.

One of the options suggested was to put in a replacment 2nd hand engine, but I am not comfortable with this because I am frightened I maybe back in this position further down the line. So I have decided to have a engine rebuild.

The question is though type of build should I go for? Yes, I can see the next question will be How much do I want to spend? But I would rather not say at this stage but here are some things I have been thinking about.

Some of the options I am looking at are:

2.0 forged bottom end rebuild
2.1 Stroker engine
2.5 bottom end conversion

I have emailed the major players for engine building but awaiting replies now. I have a figure available but don't want to reveal that just yet. I would rather see what the companies come back with quote and spec wise before deciding what to go for.

Any advice you guys can give on the situation is very much appreciated

Last edited by ScoobyNudge; 01 September 2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01 September 2014, 07:42 PM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

Awww gutted for you Hope all goes well for you!! I've had a few cars in stock that have had rebuilds at API and all were great although they were just standard engines.
I hope goes well for you in whatever direction you go, if you are going to keep it for some time you may as well go all out on it!!
Old 01 September 2014, 07:55 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by esp ltd
Awww gutted for you Hope all goes well for you!! I've had a few cars in stock that have had rebuilds at API and all were great although they were just standard engines.
I hope goes well for you in whatever direction you go, if you are going to keep it for some time you may as well go all out on it!!
Cheers mate. Yeah definitely keeping her. I have wanted one for ages now and there are not many left. I will tell you what though, next time I'm gonna get cannon fodder to come with me the man knows his stuff and always picks a mint car.

API have been contacted

Last edited by ScoobyNudge; 01 September 2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01 September 2014, 08:21 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you've not had good few months of ownership as for the rebuild it's a case of how deep are your pockets?? If it was me I'd probably opt for the 2ltr forged build unless you want to go chasing figures?? I think Ty (Cannon Fodder) would give you some good advice as he's been there and done it.
Old 01 September 2014, 08:22 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Import car parts sell a brand new STI7 shortblock. Fit and forget.
Old 01 September 2014, 08:23 PM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyNudge
Cheers mate. Yeah definitely keeping her. I have wanted one for ages now and there are not many left. I will tell you what though, next time I'm gonna get cannon fodder to come with me the man knows his stuff and always picks a mint car.

API have been contacted

Yes Tyron certainly has much buying experience and would certainly be a good man to take along!! It's often the case that when buying a dream car you can buy with your heart rather than your head..........we've all done it and I still do it even though I'm supposed to be buying them to sell them
It may also be worth sourcing yourself a rear or side damaged car with a running engine, you could sell the other bits and possibly break even with a free engine........probably a harder option though!
Old 01 September 2014, 08:55 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by esp ltd
Yes Tyron certainly has much buying experience and would certainly be a good man to take along!! It's often the case that when buying a dream car you can buy with your heart rather than your head..........we've all done it and I still do it even though I'm supposed to be buying them to sell them
It may also be worth sourcing yourself a rear or side damaged car with a running engine, you could sell the other bits and possibly break even with a free engine........probably a harder option though!
Mattybr5 the subaru breaker has 60k sti 7/8 engines for sale was thinking about buying one and putting a new crank and bearings and getting the sti loom and ecu to run the avcs. not sure about this though need advice really and price on getting it all running reliably.

Originally Posted by scubbay
Import car parts sell a brand new STI7 shortblock. Fit and forget.
Yeah, had a look on there didn't see that mate. However I saw a brand new 2.5 short motor for £1,900. Just wondering what that would be like with my heads etc.

Advanced Automotives do a 2.1 stroker kit capable of 500bhp for £1400

Last edited by ScoobyNudge; 01 September 2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01 September 2014, 08:57 PM
Deanamoore
Scooby Regular

I have a 2.1 fitted to my bug,an I think its brilliant for the money.its safely running 430 bhp an it can easily handle more.it all depends what figures you will be happy with.i always said 400bhp but I am now after more.good luck whateva you decide to choose.
Old 01 September 2014, 10:56 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mattybr5 the subaru breaker has 60k sti 7/8 engines for sale was thinking about buying one and putting a new crank and bearings and getting the sti loom and ecu to run the avcs. not sure about this though need advice really and price on getting it all running reliably.

Yeah, had a look on there didn't see that mate. However I saw a brand new 2.5 short motor for £1,900. Just wondering what that would be like with my heads etc.

Advanced Automotives do a 2.1 stroker kit capable of 500bhp for £1400

If I was you I would have the engine inspected first by a renowned Subaru garage. Then if the problem is the bottom end, buying a 2.1 kit for £1400 is fine but how much will the strip down and rebuild cost?

There are a few local garages who have done numerous rebuilds, not just re-furbed blocks with bits added.

I would also speak with whoever did the turbo re-furb and question why a malfunctioning part was fitted.

At the end of the day it's just metal and will not pay your rent or love you back.

PM coming.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 01 September 2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01 September 2014, 11:39 PM
notfub
Scooby Regular

Just to add that my first impreza had an API rebuild and the engine was absolutely spot on.
My second impreza (bug) had a rebuild at Zen Performance and again the engine was spot on.
As long as you pick a well known and proven builder, you'll be fine.

I wouldn't go too mad with the power either as you don't want your 5 speed box breaking. Both my cars ran approx 330bhp and boxes were no issue.

Stick with it as your car looks great

Last edited by notfub; 01 September 2014 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Added gearbox note
Old 06 September 2014, 08:22 AM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

cheer bud.

Just a quick update, just bought a low miler EJ207 v7 sti long engine. This will be refreshed/rebuilt and put back in the car then mapped accordingly. I'm gonna be using a vf35 turbo. so got to get her run in and then enjoy the car. hopefully I will put in a 6 speed next year then when funds allow.
Old 06 September 2014, 06:17 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

cheer bud.

Just a quick update, just bought a low miler EJ207 v7 sti long engine. This will be refreshed/rebuilt and put back in the car then mapped accordingly. I'm gonna be using a vf35 turbo. so got to get her run in and then enjoy the car. hopefully I will put in a 6 speed next year then when funds allow.
I'm sure you know this, but of course the STi engine won't be a direct fit with your UK300 loom etc due to the AVCS, unless you've worked that one out already!
Old 07 September 2014, 07:34 AM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
I'm sure you know this, but of course the STi engine won't be a direct fit with your UK300 loom etc due to the AVCS, unless you've worked that one out already!
Yes, worked that one out lol. I have also bought the loom and sti ecu with the engine in order to run the avcs. I just think its a better base to mod from and has my old ej205 had a head gasket done earlier its a safer option in case the heads and block are not reusable.

I'm guessing my engine let go because the head gasket issue was not done properly. Maybe they should have looked at bottom end while they had the engine out? Or maybe they done that cheap to sell on and I have been unlucky and been on borrowed time. I'm convinced the seller knew there was a issue and that they sold it quick with that in mind.

Just need to know what parts of the ej205 I can sell on to recoup some costs?

I will pop down in the future, and have a look at your set up. Hopefully when I have some cash to spare may have some work done with you, but at the moment I have my daily runabout (mk3 golf gti 2.0 8v) needing repair for mot. That's having 2 new bottom arms, 2x front strut top mounts, 2 new tyres front, front droplinks replaced, 2 x new rear coil springs, gear leaver repair kit put on gears are sloppy. Oh and there was a fault with the abs.The abs light is on permanently along with the handbrake light. so as you can see I'm skint lol. All of this being paid out whilst I'm not earning any money as my job requires me to travel all over my surrounding areas to provide healthcare support to nursing homes. I will definitely be buying from you soon.

Last edited by ScoobyNudge; 07 September 2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07 September 2014, 08:42 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I hope all goes well for you Mark, after our chat the other day I thought you were going down the rebuild route but I can see your reasoning for choosing the path that you have.
Old 07 September 2014, 08:49 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Yes, worked that one out lol. I have also bought the loom and sti ecu with the engine in order to run the avcs. I just think its a better base to mod from and has my old ej205 had a head gasket done earlier its a safer option in case the heads and block are not reusable.

I'm guessing my engine let go because the head gasket issue was not done properly. Maybe they should have looked at bottom end while they had the engine out? Or maybe they done that cheap to sell on and I have been unlucky and been on borrowed time. I'm convinced the seller knew there was a issue and that they sold it quick with that in mind.

Just need to know what parts of the ej205 I can sell on to recoup some costs?

I will pop down in the future, and have a look at your set up. Hopefully when I have some cash to spare may have some work done with you, but at the moment I have my daily runabout (mk3 golf gti 2.0 8v) needing repair for mot. That's having 2 new bottom arms, 2x front strut top mounts, 2 new tyres front, front droplinks replaced, 2 x new rear coil springs, gear leaver repair kit put on gears are sloppy. Oh and there was a fault with the abs.The abs light is on permanently along with the handbrake light. so as you can see I'm skint lol. All of this being paid out whilst I'm not earning any money as my job requires me to travel all over my surrounding areas to provide healthcare support to nursing homes. I will definitely be buying from you soon.
We've seen a few engines that have run the bearings after head work was done. There could be a number of reasons for it, although in a lot of cases if the engine has run long enough for the head gaskets to deteriorate, it's also run long enough to wear the bearings out!
Be happy to see you whenever you like. If you need anything while your conversion is going on, just ask..