Notices

Well my engine is finally run in :D

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2014, 01:44 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well my engine is finally run in :D

1008 trouble free miles (engine wise), so I am happy.

http://vid159.photobucket.com/albums...140904_013.mp4

Here is my build thread.
https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/9...ld-thread.html

And My car is booked in on the 5th to have the wing sorted, and a full machine mop and polish to sort this out Ready for Rally day

Last edited by Jimbob; 05 September 2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10 September 2014, 09:06 AM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Good effort James.

Although no one on here has the decency to say well done.
Unless you pay some one else to do the work.

Nice to see people actually getting their hands dirty.
Old 10 September 2014, 10:21 AM
scoobyskool
Scooby Regular

Just read your whole engine build thread ! Good work jimbob !!!
Old 10 September 2014, 10:29 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Very Well done,Good Work.SJ.
Old 10 September 2014, 12:08 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

cracking job mate

Originally Posted by DYL 4N
Good effort James.

Although no one on here has the decency to say well done.
Unless you pay some one else to do the work.

Nice to see people actually getting their hands dirty.
Hoping that was not aimed at me mate lol

Last edited by ScoobyNudge; 10 September 2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10 September 2014, 10:18 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyNudge
cracking job mate

Hoping that was not aimed at me mate lol
Defiantly not mate.
Not going well with yours is it. Hope you get it sorted soon.
Old 11 September 2014, 07:15 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, I still get worried every time I go to drive it though lol.
Just being usually pessimistic.
Old 14 September 2014, 10:06 PM
J.e30
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob
Cheers guys, I still get worried every time I go to drive it though lol.
Just being usually pessimistic.
nice job on the engine , as a fellow diy floor mechanic i know how much more of a pita it is lying in the dirt.

I changed my cambelt about 2000 mile ago and i still worry its going to fall off
Old 15 September 2014, 01:55 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J.e30
nice job on the engine , as a fellow diy floor mechanic i know how much more of a pita it is lying in the dirt.

I changed my cambelt about 2000 mile ago and i still worry its going to fall off
Well car is loaded up for its trip to sort my wing, and nothing to say after 1150miles other than the smile on my face when warm and I have a play along some twisty roads. Still a bit paranoid about rattles and noises, but starting to get used to the noises she is making now, and each time I settle in a little more.

Will be happy when Rally Day is over and done with

Cant do any work on my car at home atm as I have something in the way lol.

This is the view out of my back door.
Old 15 September 2014, 10:09 PM
J.e30
Scooby Regular

the series III. loving the paint work
i had to sell mine two weeks ago to fund my trip to oz, bit gutted its gone
Old 15 September 2014, 10:31 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

just read all 8 pages, another great thread from you. Top man ! Enjoy the new engine and be safe
Old 19 September 2014, 10:27 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J.e30
the series III. loving the paint work
i had to sell mine two weeks ago to fund my trip to oz, bit gutted its gone
Gutted, I have to rebuild the twin SU carbs on the V8

Originally Posted by smiffywhu
just read all 8 pages, another great thread from you. Top man ! Enjoy the new engine and be safe
Cheers buddy, tis appreciated.
Old 07 October 2014, 03:03 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Wing is fixed, and I have now done 1535 miles since my rebuild. And apart from some noise when cold (forged) she is running sweet as a nut. No loss of fluids, nothing untowards.

Pic of my repaired wing.
Old 07 October 2014, 02:21 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

looks super clean and tidy. go enjoy her!!
Old 07 October 2014, 06:46 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

looks super clean and tidy. go enjoy her!!
Cheers buddy, I am starting to lol.
Old 07 October 2014, 08:46 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just done the same as you. head gaskets failed so rebuilt with genuine sti gaskets and refreshed bearings while I was at it.
your bearings looked fine tbh mine not so.
1034 miles on mine - all thrash!!! ha ha. Spose I should change the oil now ay?
Old 07 October 2014, 08:56 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

oh and ps I kinked my wing to lol but only very very slightly.
Old 09 April 2015, 04:16 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Bit of an update, car has now done 3000 miles since my rebuild and all is going well.
Took her up to Indigo GT as my mates were running a rolling road day, now I popped up just to have a look and chat. But my mates ganged up on me and said I had to run.
Now just for clarity, the ECU is a stock Z4, turbo is a stock TD05, and the injectors are stock grey side feeds, so was expecting around the 256ps that is standard 252bhp.
Now my main concern was to see if fuelling was ok, with me running a front mount, full decat and obviously the forged engine. So was a bit concerned up until then not to give it too much stick, as I didnt know the fuelling and ECU were ok.

Now the car goes onto the rollers and I'm a little concerned as to what the operator says, as I know he has a Scooby himself, as I had spoken to him earlier and he knew what I had done.

So result was that the operator said the engine was sweet as a nut, pulled really well and was very very happy with it esp as it was on standard mapping (even liked the note from the Japspeed headers lol). Now I know she is spot on, and pulls like a train I can finish my Landy and then get her mapped

My figures for anyone interested are 262.3bhp 237lbft.

Feeling pretty pleased with myself tbh
So thank you Dylan for lending me a hand, after 7 years ownership, a LOT of my own hard work, and a bit of money I am so so happy with it. The joy of driving the old girl is second to none, the feel through the steering and the way it lays the power down through the bends is awesome, now not to go too power mad that she loses this fun and characteristics. Too many plough their money into getting more and more power, but end up with losing the enjoyment of the cars, as they become too much of a handful.
Old 09 April 2015, 07:01 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well done on the DIY build, it's not as difficult as some would have us believe, and some very wise words re more power, most can't use the standard power to it's full potential.
Old 09 April 2015, 08:17 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

afr would def be improved by a proper map
Old 09 April 2015, 07:24 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

Well happy with this update Jimbob, top lad!
Old 10 April 2015, 11:19 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well done Jimbob. I like a bit of hands on fettling and may well do an engine next.
Old 11 April 2015, 01:43 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Well done on the DIY build, it's not as difficult as some would have us believe, and some very wise words re more power, most can't use the standard power to it's full potential.
It was pretty straightforwards tbh I have done countless engines over the years, but the scoob I'm glad I went and had the block checked, as that was warped from the h/g failure. I'd advise anyone with a h/g failure to get it checked and possibly skimmed, also changing from bolts to stud and nut I liked. But dont listen to idiots who think each stud should be level with each other, as long as they are torqued up to spec and all bearings are within tolerance thats all that matters.

Originally Posted by Tidgy
afr would def be improved by a proper map
Well thats deffo on the cards with a topfeed injector conversion (which I already have here )

Well happy with this update Jimbob, top lad!
Cheers buddy, I'm well happy

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Well done Jimbob. I like a bit of hands on fettling and may well do an engine next.
Cheers Ian. May as well have a go, they are just a big Lego Technic set
Just get plastigauge, and make sure the parts are good before you start.

Oh and remember not to leave the engine crane and engine stand out in the rain for weeks, and not to use the tray for the engine stand as a base for a disposable BBQ. Makes all the bolts rusty, the ram seal to perish, and the paint to flake off the tray, and you cant paint it as the heat damaged the metal. Esp if they aren't yours.

Last edited by Jimbob; 11 April 2015 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12 April 2015, 10:19 AM
Tarling
Scooby Regular

Great build thread!!! Inspirational👌
Old 12 April 2015, 10:38 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Well done on the DIY build! No other way it can be done IMO!
Would you not say it's a bit lean at about 5k?
Old 13 April 2015, 03:37 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

It was pretty straightforwards tbh I have done countless engines over the years, but the scoob I'm glad I went and had the block checked, as that was warped from the h/g failure. I'd advise anyone with a h/g failure to get it checked and possibly skimmed, also changing from bolts to stud and nut I liked. But dont listen to idiots who think each stud should be level with each other, as long as they are torqued up to spec and all bearings are within tolerance thats all that matters.

Well thats deffo on the cards with a topfeed injector conversion (which I already have here )

Cheers buddy, I'm well happy

Cheers Ian. May as well have a go, they are just a big Lego Technic set
Just get plastigauge, and make sure the parts are good before you start.

Oh and remember not to leave the engine crane and engine stand out in the rain for weeks, and not to use the tray for the engine stand as a base for a disposable BBQ. Makes all the bolts rusty, the ram seal to perish, and the paint to flake off the tray, and you cant paint it as the heat damaged the metal. Esp if they aren't yours.
Really?
Old 13 April 2015, 08:44 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

So, two and a half years after you get your engine lift back you decide to have a pop at me because of it's supposed condition?

What is very surprising is that if there was an issue you did not man up when you found it and say something. I believe I am a genuine and sincere bloke and would have responded in the positive if I had know.

But no, even after meeting at various shows, Jimbob reverts to type and hides behind the internet.

I look forward to our next meeting whenever that maybe.
Old 13 April 2015, 09:18 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Ian, what was the point??
You said that you would "sort me out for lending you them" yet as you said 2.5 years later nothing (tbh I was happy enough lending them to someone who was in need, and was gonna look after them), says it all really. I rarely lend my tools out and I'd expect people to look after them, the care and attention that they were given goes against every impression I ever had from you on here and in person, so who is reverting to type??
If my dad had seen me treating tools like that he would have gone ballistic, so I have been brought up to look after tools, ESP if borrowed. Due to the handbags that usually goes on with this bloody section, I thought it was best to leave it go, esp with having family issues, and some serious health issues of my own.
I'll look forward to seeing you at a show or whatever, as I am no keyboard warrior.

Leaving someone elses crane outside, and using the tray from the stand as a bloody disposable BBQ stand is acceptable?? I was absolutely tamping, and with everything else I was liable to do something stupid, as trust me at the time I had little to look forward to, so chose to be a man and turn the other cheek, live and learn.

And as to revert to type......... why do you think I dont come on here?? It's from all the bollocks that goes on here.
Old 13 April 2015, 09:44 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Ian, what was the point??
You said that you would "sort me out for lending you them" yet as you said 2.5 years later nothing (tbh I was happy enough lending them to someone who was in need, and was gonna look after them), says it all really. I rarely lend my tools out and I'd expect people to look after them, the care and attention that they were given goes against every impression I ever had from you on here and in person, so who is reverting to type??
If my dad had seen me treating tools like that he would have gone ballistic, so I have been brought up to look after tools, ESP if borrowed. Due to the handbags that usually goes on with this bloody section, I thought it was best to leave it go, esp with having family issues, and some serious health issues of my own.
I'll look forward to seeing you at a show or whatever, as I am no keyboard warrior.

Leaving someone elses crane outside, and using the tray from the stand as a bloody disposable BBQ stand is acceptable?? I was absolutely tamping, and with everything else I was liable to do something stupid, as trust me at the time I had little to look forward to, so chose to be a man and turn the other cheek, live and learn.

And as to revert to type......... why do you think I dont come on here?? It's from all the bollocks that goes on here.

I refer to my reply. I have no idea what you are on about with regards to a BBQ stand or your crane being used as one or the supposed damage.

But I challenge you to a more gentlemanly pursuit. Fancy a run along the beach, first one to do the Mumbles Mile is the winner?

I'll even buy you some trainers.

PS. The identity of your FB SWS spy is known and you should be able to keep up to date on where we are and what we are up to. If they keep an eye out and we may meet up sooner than you think.
Old 13 April 2015, 10:00 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
I refer to my reply. I have no idea what you are on about with regards to a BBQ stand or your crane being used as one or the supposed damage.

But I challenge you to a more gentlemanly pursuit. Fancy a run along the beach, first one to do the Mumbles Mile is the winner?

I'll even buy you some trainers.

PS. The identity of your FB SWS spy is known and you should be able to keep up to date on where we are and what we are up to. If they keep an eye out and we may meet up sooner than you think.
My FB SWS spy, grow up ffs. How old are you??

As for your run, if it includes a swim back your on. As a former beach lifeguard I can easily do both. But was that a reference to my weight? Wow such an intelligent reply, and such a fantastic advert for SWS.

How can I put this simple for you to understand.

Tray for the engine stand, it was around the back of your house upside down, with a disposable bbq on it (used), saving your precious plastic garden table. It burnt the paint off the tray, and due to it being soaking had gone rusty, none of which can be treated due to the heat inflicted from the bbq. You may have forgotten, but I certainly did not.

Last edited by Jimbob; 13 April 2015 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Well my engine is finally run in :D