Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Will STI 4 Pots fit behind Speedline Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2002, 04:26 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I am replacing 2pots off my UK MY96 for STI 4pot kit.

Has anyone fitted this kit (which I've just ordered from Graham Goode) behind Speedline Chrono wheels (I think that's what they're called - similar to those on RB5).

Some folks are saying that I'll need 7mm spacers, others have said no more than 2-3mm and some have said that they will fit no problems although Speedlines are renound for having problems with 4pots.

Are spacers a no go? Will they knacker the bearings?

Somebody help, I can't afford new wheels, I've just shelled out £600 plus VAT for brakes which might be fu**ing useless [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Chris
Old 11 July 2002, 04:31 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
specially as you could have had my new brakes for less than £400 all in.

Paul
Old 11 July 2002, 04:44 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Cheers Paul,

Just seen your sale post, feel much better now

Chris
Old 11 July 2002, 04:48 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Sorry.

I have heard a number of speedlines that don't fit over the 4pots.

Since it's the caliper that clashes, you could use a wheel spacer, I seem to remember it only needs about 5mm.

Paul
Old 11 July 2002, 04:56 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Chris

The original Speedlines do not fit over 4 pots, however the ST2's and RB5 wheels do.

Cheers,

Rob.

Old 11 July 2002, 05:42 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help,

Not exactly sure what my wheels are, were fitted when I bought the car, they've got the prodrive Centre caps, and have the Speedline logo inside the rim.

Will I be ok with spacers or am I going to have to source some new wheels as well.

Chris
Old 11 July 2002, 08:18 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Tone - Thanks. I am having the same problem. I don't really like the idea of spacers, but I don't play on tracks (I do however live in a B road pothole nightmare).

I would like to hear more about your spacers, as 7mm is still just within the car's offset range, whereas 10mm is not, and 5mm is not quite enough margin for safty!

Can a set of 10mm be machined down to 7mm? May be easier than starting from scratch?
Old 11 July 2002, 09:41 PM
badgerbell
Scooby Regular

I know a while ago somebody said that Scoobysport fitted 7mm spacers to get their old Brembo/AP kit to fit.

I have brembos on my RB5 with no spacers, as far as I am aware, but the clearance between caliper and wheel is about 1-2mm max, but looks closer.

Might seem a thick question but as regards spacers, do they stay on the stud when you remove the wheel just incase I need to make some ?

I'm getting Godspeed discs to fit my Brembo calipers and by all accounts it's been a bit of a nightmare to make them, but hopefully Ian has managed to work his magic

Davy
Old 11 July 2002, 10:44 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I think they stay on the studs.

I will ask Scoobysport tomorrow about spacers. Thanks
Old 12 July 2002, 10:25 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replies, especially Tony, very helpful.

I don't do track days but people on here have mentioned that using spacers can knacker the wheel bearings, which worries me.

Fortunately I'm having the 4pots fitted by Scoobysport, tried to contact Pete Croney but he is away until Monday so hoping for a reply then. Will let you know what the outcome is.

Can't afford new wheels (plus the better half wont let me spend anymore money) unless Scoobysport will let me have a set of those rather tasty Technomagnesia's on interest free credit over a year

Cheers

Chris
Old 12 July 2002, 10:46 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Chris, I sympathise. Am in exactly the same situation
Old 12 July 2002, 10:50 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

The chrono's should fit - they do on an RB5 after all! However Prodrive originally marketed Speedline super tourismo (IIRC) which were similar looking to the Chrono(split spoke) and would not clear 4 pots.
Good luck
C
Old 12 July 2002, 11:32 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

The wheel fitted to an RB5 is not the same as the earlier Speedline Chrono or Supertourismo as we called it which can be identified by the part number SL1214 cast onto the front face.

In Impreza / Legacy fitment at ET55 it will not fit over Subaru 4 pots but we did produce this wheel in ET48 (Anthracite) for Forester fitment which would clear the calipers.

Old 13 July 2002, 10:50 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Thats exactly what i thought Mike.

As i said earlier by fitting the 7mm spacer your are basically reducing the 55mm offset to 48mm (55 - 7 = ) and so giving the needed clearance. The extra load on the wheel bearing should in theory be no different to buying a 48mm offset wheel off the shelf (e.g techno indi/detroits etc). My only worry of fitting spacers has been that the load would all be on the studs and not on the wheel spigot. Mike, do you have any comment on the use of spacers?

I'd be very interested if Scoobysport can get hold of some 7mm spacers, if they do can you post a price Chris/dnb.

Just to confirm, the RB5 wheel is not what we are discussing. As standard the car has 4 pots so the wheel obviously goes over them . The superturismo/chrono is a different design.

Tony.

[Edited by Tone Loc - 7/13/2002 10:52:57 AM]
Old 13 July 2002, 12:52 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Spoke to Scoobysport on Friday, and they said that they do have 7mm spacers, but the person who knew about them would be at Max Power.

I will call back on Monday and post the results.
Old 14 July 2002, 10:16 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Yep, keep us posted mate. Just bought my 4 pots now so am eger to get the spacers on. Hopefully Scoobysport will deliver the goods .

Tony.
Old 15 July 2002, 12:59 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Spoke to Scoobysport, basically said they couldn't get them. They could get some specially made but it would take up to 6 weeks!!!!! Dammm!!!!!!

Tony.
Old 16 July 2002, 01:38 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Have received e-mail from Scoobysport, they say 4pots will fit under Chronos but not Super Tourismos.

How the **** can you tell the difference, they both look identical to me.

Chris
Old 17 July 2002, 11:00 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

They are identical. One has a prodrive badge, the other a speedline badge .

Tony.
Old 07 November 2002, 06:25 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Chris,

I've had my Speedlines for nearly a year and a half now and have researched this quite a bit. I have now tried my wheels on 4 pots (borrowed from a friend) and can say for definate that it needs 7mm. A 5mm spacer will just about make the wheel go on, i.e the spokes just touch the caliper in places so the 7mm gives the required clearance as well.

The spigot that goes in the centre of the wheel is about 10mm and so once the 7mm spacer is on it hangs out by 3mm. If you look at the back of the wheel where the spigot goes it tapers in (the taper being about 5mm) and so i doubt with the spacer on that the spigot will take any load and as such all the load is on the wheel studs. Not ideal but i do think that if you don't go on track it won't cause a problem.

This is what im going to do. I actually purchased some 5mm spacers (£20 for the 4) but nobody does 7mm, the next size up is 10mm. I am therefore going to buy some ally plate (again difficult to get in 7mm so might have to get 8 and ground down) and machine them how i want them.

Once on you may need longer studs, i've looked at the avaliable length on mine and the stud actually goes into the top of the bolt (where there's no thread) by about 5mm so i don't really think i need to get longer ones (might do to be on the safe side tho).

I know a while ago somebody said that Scoobysport fitted 7mm spacers to get their old Brembo/AP kit to fit.

Tony.

Edited cos i can't spell!!!!

[Edited by Tone Loc - 7/11/2002 6:27:27 PM]