Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Technical / Subaru Modifications > Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 20 March 2009, 13:47   #1
Lennard
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
Default AP racing 6 pots vs brembo 4 pot

Will I see a huge amount of difference when upgrading from STi brembos to AP 6 pots, both 330mm?

Not sure it's worth it, but the car (classic type ra) will be used in hill climb currently running 350 bhp/320 ft.lbs but i'm planning to run much more power once I upgrade the gearset.

Last edited by Lennard; 20 March 2009 at 13:57.
Lennard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2009, 14:03   #2
D1CCY
Old Git

I've changed from STi Brembos to 5570 330mm AP 6 pots for track use (now using PF discs and RS29 pads). Despite a slightly smaller total piston area they stop better and are more consistent. Best of all is the smoothness and progression and clean release that is just a pleasure to use. Call me sad but I actually enjoy braking as much as having a blast.

As Alyn on here told me, the truth is that the Brembo is a budget caliper and you get what you pay for.
D1CCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2009, 14:18   #3
Lennard
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your insight, are you running a classic or a later shape?
Old 20 March 2009, 19:21   #4
dunx
Scooby Senior

Trader Score: (3)

D1CCY has a new-age, I would thoroughly recommend the Performance Friction replacement discs and pads for the Brembo set-up (fitted to mine !). Unless your budget will easily stretch to AP's.

dunx

P.S. Does a hillclimb car need that much braking ? Does weight matter ?

Last edited by dunx; 21 March 2009 at 13:38.
dunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2009, 20:49   #5
Rill
Scooby Regular

After starting out with Brembo 4-pots and stock discs and pads I quickly upgraded to DS2500 pads all round....which was an improvement.

I then upgraded to Performance Friction discs on the front and Performance Friction Z-rated pads all round....which was even more of an improvement.

I then upgraded to Performance Friction 01-rated pads....which was a HUGE improvement.

I've recently upgraded to 330mm AP 6-pot calipers and discs on the front and Pagid RS29 (yellow) pads all round....they are awesome!
Rill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2009, 10:37   #6
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i changed from brembos on newage sti to ap 6 pots 330 from alyn much better
martin
p1doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2009, 19:21   #7
Lennard
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunx View Post
D1CCY has a new-age, I would thoroughly recommend the Performance Friction replacement discs and pads for the Brembo set-up (fitted to mine !). Unless your budget will easily stretch to AP's.

dunx

P.S. Does a hillclimb car need that much braking ? Does weight matter ?
weight matters allot, the braking is less about brute stopping power and more about controllability and smoothness so you can carry maximum speed around the corners.
Old 21 March 2009, 22:40   #8
dunx
Scooby Senior

Trader Score: (3)

Then you need to find out the weight of each set-up, as I find the PF set-up fantastic on my bug-eye, but it's a road car that strays onto tracks...

dunx
dunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 01:26   #9
JB1
Scooby Regular

I changed to the AP 355 conversion and tried the DS 2500 and DS 3000 pads, Both gave some problems and we went for Padgets, which I'm still using. Lots of noise though when they aren't really hot. On track we found that we needed to add some ducting due to temp but now we are back down to 600deg they are awsome. Very good feel, and very progressive.

If you have the money then get them, they are so worth it.
JB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 21:08   #10
D1CCY
Old Git

As JB1 says (and I forgot to mention) ventilation makes a huge difference. I don't have ducting but I have cut large holes in the insides of my front wheelarches and leave the fog light covers off (Blob STi). Gets air behind the wheels and does the trick. Also put similar pads to rear brakes to keep braking effort even and not overload the fronts.

OE Brembo discs weigh 10kg, Discs on bells PF for Brembo or AP are both about 8kg so either a useful saving. Also decent lightweight wheels PFF7 ot TD 1.2 are 8kg vs OE STi golds at 12kg. Difference is noticeable.

Strip interior of an STi and fit lightweight seats saves c70kg, sadly roll cage adds 28kg but stiffens chassis.
D1CCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 21:08

Tags
330, ap, apracing, bremb, brembo, brembos, calipers, impreza, pot, pots, racing, sti, subaru, upgrade, weight